Historical Archive on
Science and Engineering Alliance, Inc. (known as SEA)
In April 1990, a signing ceremony was held at the Capitol Building in Washington, DC calling for the creation of Science and Engineering Alliance, Inc. (SEA). In June 1990, SEA's governing Board of Directors (BOD) was formed consisting of four participating Historically Black College and University (HBCU) presidents and executive officer of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). The BOD was responsible for finding an Executive Director to move SEA from a concept to a reality.
Based on his push within the federal government for greater participation of HBCUs in government-sponsored research and his person support of this academic community, Robert Louis Shepard, PhD was selected to be the Founding Executive Director of SEA. He was tasked to:
Establish SEA headquarters in a location in Washington, DC
Incorporate SEA as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit in the State of Delaware
In November 1990, the building pictured on right at 1522 K Street, NW, Suite 210, Washington, DC, 20005 became the headquarters for SEA. This address was two blocks from the White House.
After 18 years at 1522 K Street, all tenants had to vacate the because the building was sold. At the time the building was sold, Virtual Office Space was coming in vogue. so SEA convinced its BOD to test the virtual concept for one year rather than signing another long-term lease for physical office space. the operated from a newly established "Virtual Office Site" located at 1629 K Street, Suite 300.